replacing standard shock 32290 with 58620

• Public
  • 0/5 (0 votes)

replacing standard shock 32290 with 58620

Started by art 10 days ago Replies (3)

my 2207 doge caravan was riding low in the rear. replaced shocks with monroe 32290 standard shocks.. car raised about and inch higher then before.  a week later took a trip. had on a hitch  bike rack with 5 bikes and 3 passengers in the rear and few hunderd pounds of camping supplies loaded in van. van was sitting very low. when hitting dips the car was bottoming out quite often there and back. even on slow roads in town. after trip, unloaded car and took some of the same dips in town at high rate of speed and car was fine. took them smoothly. was wondering if replacing the new monroe shocks 32290 with the monroe shock with spring, 58620, would it make a difference in car height. they are rated at 500 pounds each, what would the weight rating be in comparision to the monroe 32290. thankyou.

Replies

• Tenneco Tech Rep Jack M 10 days ago

Art,

The 58620 will support weight, whereas the 32290 does not. My recommendation would be to investigate if this vehicle was equipped with the Nivomat suspension as this is a load supporting shock that will adjust the rear ride height. If the vehicle is equipped with the Nivomat suspension the part number for the rear shocks is 40201.

-Jack

• art 10 days ago

how can i tell if i have a nivomat system.  it has a shock and leaf spring on each side and thats it. i threw the old shock away so i cant check that and bought car used so there is no paper work.can i use the 58620 either way. and do you know the support weight for the 40201 as compared to the 500 pound each for the 58620.  also do you know if leaf springs can go bad?  thankyou.

• Tenneco Tech Rep Jack M 10 days ago

Art,

The Nivomat is the only option that will support the amount of weight to keep the vehicle from sagging, if it was originally equipped with the Nivomat suspension. The easiest way to tell is the shock will be very large in diameter. Since this vehicle already has different shocks installed I woul recommend contacting a dealer to verify the suspension with the VIN number.

-Jack